Have you ever wanted that Californian je ne sais quois skin glow? Nila Haran, from Beauty By Nila tells us how she achieved this look on model Thanuska during our spring editorial.
Glowing skin is the most coveted look of the spring season and I had so much fun creating this look on our model. Spring is about finally shedding all the layers we wear during winter, and finally letting the sun kiss our skin. Here’s my step-by-step breakdown of this look.
Prepping your skin is the most important step of this entire look, and good skin is even more so important when creating a sheer glowy look like this one.
Exfoliate the skin using your favorite buffing cream or scrub and follow with moisturizer.
Some of my favorite scrubs / exfoliators:
- The skin with a foundation primer (Model is wearing “Laura Mercier Foundation Primer – Radiance”) to illuminate her skin under the foundation and help the foundation last longer.
- Create the base using a sheer foundation (Model is wearing “MAC Face & Body Foundation“) applied all over her skin to create a flawless base.
- Conceal spots and under eyes (Model is wearing “LA Girl Pro Longwear Concealer”) for under eyes, and (“Kevin Aucoin Sensual Skin Enhancer”) on other blemishes & spots.
- Targeting just the spots and blemishes with a full coverage concealer, rather than fully covering the face with a heavier foundation keeps this look lightweight and natural.
- Make sure to set very lightly with a finishing powder (Model is wearing Laura Mercier Secret Brightening Powder)
- Create shadows and depth on the face using a bronzer or contouring palette (Model is wearing “Beauty By Nila Cosmetics Contour Palette ” in Dusk)
- Using your favorite highlighter, sweep some light onto the high points of the face, such as cheek bones, tips of the nose, arch of the brow and temples (Model is wearing “Beauty By Nila Cosmetics Highlighter” in Lumos)
EYES & LIPS
- Eyelids: keep eye lids matte and neutral and add a pop of light in the inner corner of the eyes using a highlighter (Model is wearing “Beauty By Nila Cosmetics Highlighter” in Lumos).
- Curl lashes: and finish with Mascara and eyeliner (Model is wearing “Inglot AMC Gel Liner” in 77)
- Lips: Exfoliate and apply a natural soft shade of lip stick or gloss. (Model is wearing a custom blend shade of various Obsessive Compulsive Cosmetics Liptars)
Check out Nila’s line of lipsticks perfectly tested for brown skin tones, comes in the cutest names (Ethereal, lip-love, Misty rose, Prosper, Candid, Sahara)
et voilà…Glowing Sun kissed perfection!
You can tweak these steps slightly if you have oily skin by using a matte sheer coverage foundation and primer, and applying highlight on just your cheekbones.
Thanks for following along! Let me know how it turns out by posting in the comments below…
Nila Haran, is an international Make-Up/Hair Artist & founder of Beauty By Nila Cosmetics. She specializes in Indian, South-Indian & Sri-Lankan Bridal Makeup and Hair